H. Thompson Eastburn
Age 89, of Milford, Delaware, died peacefully on Sunday, March 7, 2010 in Beebe Hospital in Lewes, of complications from injuries sustained in a fall at home on November 27, 2009.
Mr. Eastburn was born on February 10, 1921 in Newark, son of the late Horace T. and Ida (Hutchison) Eastburn.
Tom lived in the Newark area most of his life, graduating from Newark High School in 1940.
He was a veteran of the United States Navy serving his country in both World War II and the Korean War on the U.S.S. Uvalde and the U.S.S. New Jersey as a Machinist Mate First Class.
Mr. Eastburn spent over 50 years in the road construction business and worked for Henry C. Eastburn & Son, owned his own company, East Construction, Inc. with his brother Donald, and retired from George & Lynch in 1996 after 20 years.
Tom was a lifelong Methodist, avid gardener, mall walker and loved his UD Blue Hen Football.
He was a member of the American Society of Highway Engineers and was inducted into the First State Highway Hall of Fame in 1998. He was also a member of the Avenue United Methodist Church in Milford.
In addition to his parents, Mr. Eastburn was preceded in death by three brothers; Granville, William and Donald.
Left to cherish his memory are his wife of 69 years, M. Irene (Rather) Eastburn; two daughters and their spouses; Carole and Gregory Brennan and Cynthia Eastburn and Lawrence Shaw and step-grandchildren; a sister, Janet Jenkins; a sister-in-law, Anna Eastburn and several nieces and nephews.
A service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, March 12, 2010 at Avenue United Methodist Church, 20 N. Church Street, Milford, where friends may call after 9:30 a.m.
A reception will be provided immediately following the service at the Milford New Century Club located next door to the church.
Interment will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 13th at Gracelawn Cemetery in New Castle.
In lieu of flowers, the family has requested memorial contributions to the Avenue United Methodist Church, Building Fund, 20 N. Church St, Milford, DE, 19963.